Saturday, October 8, 2011

Nurture Yourself - The Happiness Makeover




My brother is constantly emailing me recommended reading, links to news articles and enlightening podcasts.  Usually it goes in one ear and out the other, but for several months, he kept bringing up The Happiness Makeover by M.J. Ryan.  Finally, on a visit to my house, he left me a copy to read.  The cutesy cover scared me and it honestly didn't look that legit, but it is one of the best books I've read in a long time!  It made me really stop and think about how I was living my crazy, frenetic life, trying to juggle 100 things at once. Some of the things that really hit home for me included considering whether we motivate ourselves through discontent, that there is nothing bad about getting your hopes up, the problem with perfectionism, figuring out what really matters to you, finding ways to enjoy your work, and comparing yourself to everyone else (aka Keeping up with the Jones). The chapters are short (about 3 -5 pages each) and the end of the book has a great little section called "22 instant happiness boosters."  Keep this by your bedside and I guarantee taking 10 minutes to read it every night will give you wonderful insight into our shared journey to lead a happy, fulfilling life. 



No comments:

Pin It button on image hover