Monday, March 12, 2012

Nurture Yourself - Vanity Essentials


Almost a year ago, I received a birthday gift I'd been dreaming of for years - a mirrored regency-type vanity.  There is just something about having a table all to myself to primp and prep that makes me feel feminine and so girly. 


As with almost anything in your house or wardrobe, a great piece can be made even better with the right accessories. Whether you have your own vanity area or share a sink, every gal should have a few special pieces to pretty-up your nook. Here are some suggestions to get you started.


https://www.onekingslane.com/product/13473/336138
This Dransfield and Ross lizard box over at One Kings Lane is a steal at $29 (retail is $105!). A special place to keep small jewelry is essential and is such an easy way to pretty-up your space.  



I'm always in a time crunch in the mornings and having a clock nearby would help make sure I get out the door on time.  This one is perfect for my vanity - so classic and lovely. Caroline clock, $46.95, jossandmain.com. 



You can never have too many photos of family, kids or girlfriends surrounding you. A sleek and elegant frame like this is understated glamour personified. Kate Spade Sullivan Frame, 5x7, $50, horchow.com. 



Stop by your local flea market or antique store and you are guaranteed to find tons of great vintage vanity trays (it seems like every lady used to own at least a few).  But if you are short on time, these Pottery Barn trays are great reproductions. Mirrored Dresser-Top Trays, $29-$49, potterybarn.com. 




These gilded canisters will add some depth and height to your countertop, as well as a little sparkle. Mercury Glass Canisters, $19, westelm.com.  


If subtle color is what you need to jazz up a monochromatic sink or add a feminine touch, this soft pink soap dispenser is on point.  Yngaren soap dispenser, $9, ikea.com. 



I was immediately drawn to these when I saw them. They come in a set of three and can be used for toothbrushes or razors. A much smaller footprint that the current toothbrush canisters we have, these will contemporize even the most traditional of spaces. Kontexur VIKTOR Toothbrush/Razor Holders, $49, designpublic.com. 



  


This classic crystal ring holder will always feel special and gives a sense of luxury and sophistication to your bathroom. Waterford Lismore Ring Holder, $75, bloomingdales.com.  




The French call small valet trays like these "vide poches" or "empty pockets." Any one of these would be an elegant addition to your sink as a catch-all for jewelry at the end of a long day. Hand-painted Ceramic Trays, $44, shop.mazehome.com. 




Granted, these are unusual and were originally designed as his and her ashtrays, but they remind me of a gorgeous Kelly Wearstler interior I once saw with a large hand sculpture. I can totally see someone like Jonathan Adler re-imagining these in white lacquer and they are the perfect size for rings, watches and a pair of earrings. An added bonus: you can tell your significant other that you were shopping for "us" instead of "me." Pair of Vintage Hand Shaped Ring Holders, $14, Rellik Vintage on etsy.com. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer-
Such a coincidence you're posting these. I'm doing some Spring cleaning and I'm reorganizing my bathroom, so I'm trying to find trays, etc.
I will be posting pics soon I hope.
Teri

Erin said...

I love those mercury glass jars from West Elm! I think I need a set of those, stat. Those chrome toothbrush/razor holders are genius, too! What a great round up. I don't have a vanity or dressing table, but one day... :)

California Chic said...

@Teri - I'm doing the same! Also, in the next few weeks I'll have some special guests to help with spring cleaning your closet. Stay tuned :)

@Erin - Aren't those toothbrush holders cool? I love Design Public's site. I know you are a big West Elm fan and I'm becoming one too.

Theresa / InspirationCOOP said...

Is that a photo of your actual vanity nook? It looks like a photo right out of a decor magazine. So pretty, J! I like the idea of having your own little space to pretty up. It must be fun for your daughter to watch you get ready, too. What a great idea.

California Chic said...

@Theresa - I wish it was my vanity! I am still in the process of my vanity remodel - lighting installed but waiting on delivery of wallpaper. Hoping to share before and after, if the after every gets completed!

Pin It button on image hover