Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cool Crewcuts for Kids




I mean, come on. Seriously. Can you imagine your daughter looking this cool/artsy/creative/chic on her way to school everyday? Although I had big plans for my daughter's school wardrobe while she was a baby, with her first day of preschool looming next week, time has taught me a few things about her & her clothes - they get spilled on, painted on, peed on, and generally abused in every way you can imagine.  But that doesn't stop me from looking forward to receiving J.Crew's Crewcuts catalog each season. It's filled with gorgeous kids in quirky, mis-matched, but still matched outfits, all with a little Americana and a dose of European chicness thrown in. If my bank account cooperated, I'd scoop up about half of the summer line for my 2 year-old. But for now, here are 5 of my favorite summer pieces that will give her some serious mileage, add a little whimsy to her wardrobe, and make it through summer and on into fall. 


Girl's Long Sleeve trompe l'oeil tee, $39.50, jcrew.com. 


Girl's gauze camp dress, $45, jcrew.com. 



Girl's Salt-water surfer sandals, $38, jcrew.com. 

Girls' Set Sail Short, $42.50, jcrew.com. 
Solid Band Trilby Hat, $29.50, jcrew.com. 

 I love dressing up my little one, although lately it's getting harder and harder to get her to go along with my selections. Most recently she's decided that everything should "match" - literally. That translates into her wearing a singular color (usually pepto-bismol pink) head to toe. I'm talking pink pants, pink T, pink shoes, pink bow, pink cardigan and pink necklace. Not my cup of tea to say the least, but in the spirit of letting her self-expression flag fly, I go with the program. Well, a mom can dream, and this is the outfit I'd love my little one to wear on her first day of preschool ( I know its totally impractical and not meant for playing in the sandbox, but as I tell my daughter, this is pretend so you can have it any way you want!). 


Clockwise from top left: PLAY Comme Des Garcons Printed Heart Tee, $72; Girls Glitter Tote, $59.50; Petite Belle Ballet Flats, $68; Caroline Cardigan in Safari Cat, $58; Pearl and Crystal Necklace, $14.50; Tippy-Toe Tulle Skirt, $45, all at jcrew.com. 


2 comments:

Erin said...

Not going to lie, Crewcuts makes me routinely wish I had children just so I could dress them up. And it also makes me envious that the clothes don't come in my size. I'll take that green tulle skirt and Comme Des Garcons tee please. Along with that glitter tote, yellow strappy sandals, and that black cardigan. What adorable choices you picked!

Theresa / InspirationCOOP said...

Crew Cuts is pretty genius with their spot on styling and clothes. I remember I couldn't wait for the kids to turn two because, as you know, their sizing starts at two. So, with your daughter at the right age now, watch out! :) They do have great sales. Like all your cute picks...Hello, Comme Des Garcons tee!
PS~Aw, your daughter is starting school.
PPS~Hey, monochromatic dressing is in. :b

Pin It button on image hover