Monday, January 9, 2012

Nurture Yourself - The Best Ankle Boots Out There

The gold standard: The Isabel Marant Jenny Boot, $580, net-a-porter.com.

When I became a mother in 2010, I faced the harsh fact that carrying a carseat (with baby), oversized purse (can't give that up!), and a large diaper bag while walking in 4 inch knee high boots wasn't the safest bet.  After a few near misses and trip-ups on the sidewalk, I realized that my favorite pairs of boots were going to spend more time in their beautiful shoe boxes and less time on my feet.  Since then, I've become a HUGE fan of flat ankle boots not only for their practicality, but for the relaxed, chic style they exude. As at home with mini and maxi dresses as they are with skinny jeans, this is the boot to add to your closet this year.  Here are some of the best options out there:

Emmett Ankle Boots, $238, jcrew.com.

I'm partial to this first pair because I picked them up while doing some last minute Christmas shopping and I LOVE them! I went with the grey color because it really shows the leather's texture and the side buckle gives them an touch of masculinity. 


Workwear Biker Boot, $248, madewell.com; Anne Klein Largo Bootie, $69.30, macys.com

I haven't owned a pair of lace up boots since my Doc Martens in the mid 90's (which BTW are everywhere again), but I've seen these rocked by everyone from Miranda Kerr to Nicole Richie and now they are on my wish list. They are versatile, tough and sweet all at once - just what you want in a boot!


House of Harlow 1960 Bailey Bootie, $295, nordstrom.com.

Reminiscent of a Victorian boot, these black beauties are a modern twist on the classic.  The tone-on-tone buttons are a subtle touch and add an extra dose of style.

Cole Haan Air Evan Short Boot, $166, neimanmarcus.com.

Your super basic, safe and classic boot.  A good option if you need something simple and conservative to wear to the office. 



Petty Bootie by Sam Edelman, $160, piperlime.com; Minnetonka Two-Button Boot, $41, urbanoutfitters.com.
Suede boots have a texture and substance that makes them a great addition to your closet.  While I've got my eye on those Isabel Marant Jenny boots (Isn't it a sign that we share the same name?), here are a few options that are much easier on the wallet. The Minnetonka booties have been around for awhile, but I'm thinking about trading in my fringed ones for this pared-down version that has a cleaner line and fun details.

Side Bow Rain Boot, $55, urbanoutfitters.com.

I couldn't help but include these sweet rain boots.  If you are like me and wear business attire to work, big, bulky Hunter boots can look a little out of place with a suit.  These feel a bit more dainty and work appropriate.  Plus, how cute is that bow detail?

The Biker Boot, $248, madewell.com. 

Add an instant edge to any outfit with these not totally motorcycle, motorcycle boots.  The clean lines of the strap give them just the class they need without taking away any of the edge.  Knock around in these because I have a feeling the more you wear them, the better they will look.

1 comment:

Theresa / InspirationCOOP said...

I want a pair of ankle boots so bad. I've had my eye on a pair of Fiorentini + Baker Eli boots, but can't justify the price. (I'm hoping they'll go one sale.) However, you have provided some nice (to my wallet) alternatives. Thank you, thank you!

Pin It button on image hover